Scodellino Mill is located about 2 km from the center of Castel Bolognese.
It is the last remaining example of the series of mills built in the 1400s along the canal that takes its name from them.
Inside the mill
Scodellino Mill was built at the end of the fourteenth and beginning of the fifteenth century and probably owes its name to the “scudella”, used by the miller for milling.
It overlooks via Canale with a low portico, used in bad weather to give shelter to the wagons.
The rustic design, made of exposed brick, still shows the original plant today.
On the other side of the canal, there is a second building that was used as a granary, dating back to the XVIII century. On the ground floor are two stone mills.
In a second room, there is a buratto and a grain cleaner called a tarara.
The construction of these machines can be traced back to the end of the 19th century, but their installation was not until 1935, the year in which the plants were modernized.
Although the mill was no longer in use, it was inhabited until 25 years ago.
The Mill today
After almost a decade of neglect, thanks to the Emilia Romagna Region, the Municipality of Castel Bolognese and the Associazione Amici del Mulino Scodellino, renovation of the mill began.
Thanks to many years of continuous work by volunteers, the mill reopened on March 19th, 2016.
During the FAI Spring Days, the old mill was started for an audience of over 2000 visitors.