The Gothic church, completed in 1374, remained unaltered until great undertakings in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries that led to the substitution of almost all the gothic architectural elements. Outside, the beautiful portal of Iacopo da Cereto from 1340 and the splendid rose window on the façade still bear witness to its ancient splendor.
Inside, in the apse, the altarpiece of ‘ Il martirio di S. Orsola’ (The martyrdom of S. Orsola) by Ludovico Carracci (1600).
The wooden choir is from the second half of the 16th century, while a door to the right of the presbytery leads to an ogival chapel belonging to the early construction. It contains interesting Gothic frescos from the 14th century on its walls.
The church is part of the homonymous convent complex, coeval to the church and expanded in the 1400s and 1500s, an era in which the old conventual nucleus was raised one floor and two quadriportici were built.
In 1797, the convent was used as a barracks by the Napoleonic troops putting an end to its convent function.