Current Municipal Theater
The Cassero is a monument that marks the birth of Castel San Pietro in 1199.
The new bulwark was first built with wood and then continually modified again according to the needs of the military powers that, decade after decade, century after century, conquered and used it as their main fortification against their enemies.
The Cassero (from the Arabic “qasr”, castle, Roman castrum) is a massive building, adorned with Ghibelline merlons.
It has been restructured several times. In 1830, a roof was added, and it was transformed into a theater. in the years following the First World War, it was brought back to its basic structures.
In the upper section of the Cassero, there is the tower that according to sources dates back to the 1300s. Around 400 years later, in 1784, a clock and bells were installed.
From 1635 to 1920 (when it was given to the Commune) the building belonged to the Malvasias.
Today, the Cassero has been completely renovated and turned into a municipal theater.
Its terrace is open to the city and institutions for culture and food and wine events.
There is only of the towers from the old city walls remaining today. It is located east of the Cassero and a stretch of walls along via Castelfidardo and along the Sillaro. The walls were at their most imposing in the 1400s when they included a walkway that led inside the main castle. there are only one of the towers located.